On Sunday morning I'm travelling up to London to stay overnight at Hannah's before heading off to Heathrow on Monday morning. The flight departs at around midday on Monday 19th July and arrives into Delhi just before 2am local time on Tuesday 20th. The plan is then to head straight to Amritsar for a few nights to take in the Golden Temple and India/Pakistan border ceremony. Elgon, Ralph, Callum, Bronwen and myself then hope to go trekking for 4 or 5 days in the Indian Himalaya in Himachal Pradesh. After that, Callum and I plan to join Hannah, Cat and Issy to tour round Rajasthan, hopefully visiting the desert fort at Jaisalmer and doing a bit of camel trekking, followed by the lakeside city of Udaipur, and then the 'Pink City' of Jaipur. We shall then head to Agra, of Taj Mahal fame, and hopefully the great Hindu pilgrimage city of Varanasi on the banks of the Ganges, before returning to Delhi. We fly back on Tuesday 17th August.

I've now managed to accumulate all the bits and pieces of kit I need for the trip, which are awaiting packing into my backpack - tomorrow's job! I'm starting to feel excited, and a little nervous about the culture shock, particularly the poverty, weather, food, haggling, noise, and general hustle and bustle of life in India which is so different to western Europe.
I plan to keep a record of my trip by regular updates to this blog over the course of the four weeks (hopefully with photos, though these may have to wait until I return!), so check back every so often to track our progress! I'd love to hear from people whilst I'm out there, so if you want to get in touch with me, leave a comment or email me (martin.r.g.taylor@gmail.com)!
No comments:
Post a Comment